Summon is a great tool for discovering the huge range of electronic resources we have here at UCS and accessing the majority of items is as simple as pressing a button and entering your UCS username and password.
However some resources particularly material from ‘open access’ databases won’t link directly to the article. Instead Summon provides a link to the journal or database that holds the article. Then you can re-run your search or navigate to the correct year, volume, etc. For example in this search for full-text journal articles which include the phrase ‘Network Security’:
Summon and Beyond
Unfortunately not every resource we subscribe to is included in Summon so sometimes additional searches are required. You may find you’re unable to access an article we should have access to or on some resources you may see a link to: ‘Citation online’.
Sorry, no holdings were found for this journal
If you see this message you may still be able to access the article.
At the bottom of the page is a link to our A-Z of journals. Click thislink and then enter the journal title into the search box at the top of the page to search for additional links.
The requested document was not found
If you click a link in Summon and see this message please let us know so we can report it to our suppliers.Again please don’t give up just yet. Instead click the Get ‘additional resources related to this‘ link at the top of the page and click on one of the journal links:
Then access the article:
If you can’t find a journal article in Summon or the link in Summon isn’t working then try searching for the journal title using our A-Z of e-journals which you can access from MyUCS or from the Summon search page.
I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
If the Library doesn’t have access to an article you need then we may be able to obtain a copy from another Library using our Interlibrary loan service.
- If you get an error message when trying to access an article through Summon make sure you’ve updated the cookie settings on your web browser.
- If you can’t find an article in Summon check the A-Z of e-Journals for date availability and links directly to the journal
- Look out for the ‘additional resources related to this’ link at the top of the page for alternative links
- If you find a ‘Full Text online’ link in Summon that doesn’t work please let us know
- Use the inter-library loan service to obtain material we don’t have access to
- Check out our help pages or ask us for help